Tuesday, January 25, 2011

love, love, love hand embroidery





I've spent many-a-morning combing yard sales, many-an-afternoon scouring thrift stores & then many-an-evening creating hand embroidered treasues. I simply love the raised texture of embroidery & the feel of it whether on pillows, clothing or vintage cross-stitch tablecloths. I certainly know the value of a well-embroidered piece & what a gem it is when found in good condition.

I am certain that my love of embroidery came from my grandma Alice, who taught me to embroider when I was young & set me up with needles, hoops & floss to get me started. She always did the most beautiful work, meticulously working her needles in & out of the fabric to create a doilie or table-topper.


I still have the many (and when I say many, I mean many) pieces that my Grandma Alice gave to me over the years & am inspired by them to create something of my own. I have been picking up vintage iron-on transfers for a few years now & finally put them to good use as this sampler pillow for Tatum's room. It is full of transfers dating back to the 60's & 70's and adds just the right amount of vintage novelty to her colorful little room.


With all the wonderful embroidery transfers out there, I also find myself wanting to embroider just about every piece of clothing in Tatum's wardrobe. The options never cease...


(please pardon the poor-quality photos, I'm workin' on it!)

1 comment:

Unknown said...

You are one talented girl - love the pillow!