Friday, July 22, 2011

it's summertime...lets camp

I have been seeing tons of little kid tents all over the Internet lately & have wanted to make one for my kids for quite some time now. I gathered a few ideas & got to work. I used 3 dowels & 4 skinny pieces of wood to create the A frame (around $11 at home improvement store). I drilled 3/4 in holes in the end of the wood (since the dowels were 3/4 in) and simply put it together. No glue required, since I wanted this tent to be easily taken down to fit in a small carrying bag.
After the tent was set up, I measured it out & happened to find 3 yards of natural colored muslin at the thrift store that day for $1.50 (with 3 yards of shocking pink cotton). I used about 2 yards of the fabric, so it cost roughly 50cents for the fabric. Once the muslin was hemmed & put on the frame, I new just what this tent needed....pennants! I had a stash of fabric scraps, so I cut out a couple dozen triangles of different sizes. I then decided that they needed to be sewn on the tent by hand for an extra feeling of handmade goodness.
We then took the tent outside for a little test-drive. It is a simple A-frame so the height & width is easily adjustable. My kids are into this tent. They run through it, fun around it, and love to lay under it to read a good book. I have a feeling much of our time spent outside for the rest of this summer will be spent in the shade of this little beauty...