Saturday, March 31, 2012

linen emroidered top


 I love love love most anything hand-embroidered...and whenever I see it at thrift stores, yard sales, etc, I cant help but pick it up, even if I have no immediate use for it. I just know how long it probably took that person to stitch every little design on cotton or linen (for-e-ver). So anyway, I feel like I have to rescue most every piece of hand-embroidery I find from being thrown into the wasteland.
 I know how to embroider things myself, but haven't taken much time lately to create anything elaborate with it. So anyway...back to this project...
I had this table runner that I picked up in a grab bag at the thrift store a few months ago and wanted to do something with it. Now while the colors are one of the things I loved about it, it didn't quite fit anywhere in my house. I got the idea that this would make a beautiful, detailed top for my little one & got to work. I made a few quick measurements & created the band & arm straps. Then I gathered the table runner to fit that measurement & sewed it together. I added the buttons as a decorative detail & got some good practice using the button hole attachment on my new sewing machine for the button on the back. I used all vintage buttons from my grandmother's and my husband's grandmother's stashes & it suits the top perfectly. I didn't get a great shot of the embroidery up close, but the black lines, the colorful flowers & the leaves are all intricately hand-stitched on ecru linen with a hand-crocheted scalloped trim. B-E-A-U-TIFUL.
The top is a little loose on Tatum, but that's not usually a problem for long around here. These kids grow like weeds, so it'll probably be great come summertime.
Easy breezy little top that will be perfect for hot summer days...







No comments: