Saturday, February 26, 2011

dress making...part 1

Sick kids= spending a lot of time at home this week, So I decided to try making a few dresses for Tatum. I have quite a large stack of fabric waiting to get used, so I got to work. The pattern from this dress is from 1968 & was one of a few great patterns that I found at a thrift store. I am not a great garment sewer, but want to improve, especially getting to know the button-hole attachment on my sewing machine. I decided to put 12 vintage pink pearl buttons all the way down the back of the dress instead of installing a zipper- zippers scare me worse than making button holes.

It turned out really easy, and took me about two hours (between wiping noses & fetching sippy cups). I love the pattern, and the vintage vibe to the cut of the dress. I don't know that I'm crazy about the print, I think the next time I might do a solid bright color....what do you think? It's fun for a two year old & got me to use the supplies I have on hand!

1 comment:

Be Wee said...

Soo cute Janelle! I don't know how you did that with 2 sick kids in the house, you are my hero! Love the squared armhole and the hand stitched neckline :)