Wednesday, February 9, 2011

Project Target: Before & After

I am always so inspired by Crewcuts from Jcrew, but always dissapointed that after I load 10 things in my shopping cart, my total is twice as much as it would cost to feed a small army. I spotted this little dress at Target the other day for $10 & saw potential in it- so I picked it up & go to work that afternoon.
I salvaged the sequin trim off of a too-small shirt I had made for Tatum last year, and the trim had previously been on a shirt of my mom's 6 or 7 years ago. So all-in-all, this trim has been upcycled many times. I like the tone-on-tone work that JCrew uses, so I wanted to stay in a muted color palate. I'd say (#1) it looks pretty sweet on our little Tater (#2) it was a whole lot easier than creating a whole new dress from scratch (#3) much more budget friendly than Crewcuts (#4) unique, handmade & one-of-it's-kind which this mama always loves.


Before:

After:

I removed the 3 little pieces of gathered fabric that came with it & moved them to the side. I added vintage buttons from my Grandma Alice's stash & did a little hand-sewing around the edges.





now if i could just get her to sit like a lady...

No comments: